STATE FARM'S HEAD ON A PLATTER
What Gulf Coast Congressman Gene Taylor wanted the Easter Bunny to bring him.
South Mississippi Living 4/07

Wednesday, September 12, 2007

ANDERSON PUSHES FOR LOWER INSURANCE RATES

OPPONENT REJECTS "NO INSURANCE MONEY PLEDGE,"
POCKETS INDUSTRY MONEY BY THOUSANDS

Jackson, Mississippi - Insurance Commissioner candidate Gary Anderson, held a press conference at the state's capitol building to address Mississippi's insurance crisis. He reaffirmed his pledge to NOT take money from big insurance or their executives and stated his support for a congressional bill (HR 3121) which seeks to provide multi-peril insurance.

The measure goes a step further than previous bills because it requires the national flood insurance program to enable the purchase of optional insurance against loss resulting from any flood, windstorm or other wind event.

Anderson says the bill is a step in the right direction for Mississippi and that he joins the Mississippi Congressional Delegation in supporting the bill. "I will do everything in my power to lower insurance rates for Mississippians. Last week, I sent a letter to the members of the Mississippi Delegation to let them know that I agree we must take action to provide relief for citizens throughout Mississippi, especially along the Gulf Coast, who are affected by slow recovery due to unresolved insurance claims and other insurance payment related matters," said Anderson at the press conference.

Gary Anderson also reaffirmed his pledge to remain independent of big insurance. Anderson said, "Back in June, I promised the people of Mississippi that I would not take a single dime from big insurance. I stand here today to say that I have not taken a dollar and will not because I know I can't protect the insurance ratepayers of Mississippi if I am in the back pocket of big insurance. My independence from the insurance industry is one of the main differences between my opponent and I."

Anderson said he would use his over 25 years of experience working in the public and private sectors to lower the cost of insurance and build a vibrant insurance marketplace. Anderson has served as the state's Chief Fiscal Officer as well as the Director of Community Development.

Gary was born and raised on his family's farm in Byhalia, Mississippi where his mother, a retired schoolteacher and his father, a farmer and retired fireman still call home. Gary and his wife of 25 years, Debra Miller of Vicksburg, live in Jackson.


Return to A.M. in the Morning! Home

No comments: